Ever wondered how to recycle crisp packets, Pringles tubes or contact lens cases? Check out our recycling point in-store which will help you to re-cycle things that normally go to landfill? Plus there’s an added bonus, for every kilo of waste we recycle through the Barry Terracycle Scheme, a local charity will receive a donation #winwin.
Check out our list below to see which items you can recycle in Barry at Awesome.wales Zero Waste Shop. 74 Holton Road, Barry CF63 4HE.
Which items do you recycle?
- Baby food pouches: Recycle baby food pouches, kids yogurt pouches, pouch caps and Ella’s Kitchen snack packets altogether Please make sure all excess product has been removed and lids replaced.
- Baylis and Harding products: You can recycle Baylis and Harding bottle caps, Baylis and Harding pump and flexible tubes; and Baylis and Harding flexible plastic lotion tubes and their caps. Please place any hard plastic bottles in your kerbside recycling in the Vale of Glamorgan, check locally for other areas.
- Beauty and personal care products: Any brand of flexible plastic or metallic moisturiser tubes; any brand of facial cleansing wipe packet.
- Biscuit, cracker and cake bar wrappers: Any brand, including multipack wrappers.
- Bread bags: TerraCycle and Hovis have partnered to create a free recycling programme for all brands of stretchy plastic bread bags.
- Cheese wrappers: You can recycle any brand of flexible plastic cheese packaging and nets. Any brand of sliced cheese protective plastic film. You can also recycle the labels from Cathedral City Minis packs of 6.
- Confectionery packaging: You can recycle any brand of plastic chocolate and sweets pouches and bags; any brand of chocolate or sweets multipack outer packaging, individual chocolate bar wrappers and plastic chocolate block wrappers.
- Contact lenses: any brand of soft contact lenses and blister packs, not the cases that you keep your lenses in overnight.
- Crisp packets: including the outer wrapper of multipacks, any brand. Please make sure they’re empty, bonus points if you flatten them and place them all inside a multipack bag. Please do not fold into triangles as this damages the recycling machines.
- Dental products: any brand of plastic toothbrushes, toothbrush packaging, toothpaste tubes and caps, toothpaste tube cartons, electric or battery powered toothbrush heads, dental floss containers and outer packaging.
- Disposable gloves: any brand of latex, nitrile, polyethylene or vinyl gloves.
- Ferrero Rocher: Recycle your Ferrero Rocher and Ferrero Collection aluminium wrappers, plastic boxes and plastic trays.
- Hand wash: You can recycle your Carex, Imperial Leather or Bayley’s of Bond Street hand wash pumps and refill pouches. Please place any hard plastic bottles in your kerbside recycling in the Vale of Glamorgan, check locally for other areas.
- Home care and laundry products: You can recycle all brands of plastic air freshener containers, cartridge caps and car air fresheners (not electric plugins); all brands of laundry pod and stain remover flexible pouches; all brands of dishwasher tablet and dishwasher salt flexible pouches; Lenor tumble dryer sheets; all brands of tinted fabric conditioner bottles and caps; all brands of cleaning wipe flexible packaging; all brands of tinted rigid plastic tubs used for home cleaning.
- Kenco jar lids: just the lid, please recycle the glass jar in your kerbside recycling.
- Make up: any brand of make up containers including powder and eyeshadow compacts, lip and cheek sticks, mascara wands and tubes, and lipsticks, lip glosses and lip balms. Sponsored by Burt’s Bees.
- Medication packets: Any brand of empty medicine blister pack.
- Pens and writing instruments: Any brand of pen, highlighter, correction fluid pot or marker.
- Pet food packaging: Any brand of dry pet food and treat packaging and all wet pet food pouches. Please ensure wet food pouches have been washed and dried.
- Pringles tubes: including the seal and plastic lid, other brands not accepted sorry.
- Snacks, nuts and popcorn packets: Any brand of nuts packets; any brand of pretzel packets; any brand of popcorn packets; and any brand of pretzel or popcorn multipacks.
- Tassimo coffee pods: including the outer wrapper of multipacks, no other brands accepted sorry, please see below for options.
- Water filters: Only Aqua Optima brand water filters can be recycled through this scheme.
What should I do with items that aren’t part of the Terracycle scheme?
There are other local recycling options in Barry that you can use, check out our handy list for options
- Aluminium cans: kerbside recycling.
- Bicycle inner tubes: we collect these at Awesome Wales, they are then sent to Cycle of Good to be turned into ethical quality goods handcrafted in Malawi using recycled materials such as used old bicycle inner tubes, coffee sacks and surplus lorry curtain saved from UK landfill. We sell their belts, wallets, purses and bags in-store.
- Bras: we have a bra bank at Awesome in Barry, just pop them into the big pink bra recycling bin.
- Carrier bags and other stretchy plastic bags: these can be deposited in the carrier bag recycling section at most large supermarkets. Remember to ensure your plastic is clean and free from food debris otherwise the whole batch of plastic recycling may be rejected as contaminated.
- Coffee pods: Tassimo pods can go into our Terracycle bin in-store. Nespresso pods can be recycled though their post bag scheme. Other coffee pods will have to go into your black bin bag.