A super-simple shampoo with natural conditioning properties but without fragrance added – great for when no scents makes perfect sense.
Sometimes less is moreish. That’s the thinking behind our gorgeous new fragrance-free shampoo bar, which ditches scents in favour of an irresistibly simple blend of just four natural ingredients – great for sensitive skin and scalps. We’ve taken the famously fabulous conditioning properties of castor oil and blended it with olive and coconut oils for added richness and natural moisturising. The only other ingredient is organic argan oil: another natural conditioner promoting strong, healthy hair that does what you tell it. Yep, we’ll have more of that please.
Each Fragrance Free Shampoo Bar is handmade with Argan Oil, Castor Oil, Coconut Oil and Olive Oil.
You won’t find even the smallest smidgen of palm oil, preservatives or sulphates in any of our soaps; all we add is a feel-good factor. Our plastic-free boxes are recycled and recyclable, and we’re also registered with The Vegan Society and Cruelty-Free International. We’ve even earned a ‘Best’ rating with Ethical Consumer, so you can enjoy a spotlessly clean conscience.
Sodium cocoate, Sodium olivate, Aqua, Sodium castorate, Argania spinosa (argan) kernel oil
How to use
Just run the shampoo bar over your head in one direction, from front to back. This will help you to avoid creating any pesky knots. Once you’ve a good amount of shampoo on your head, massage it into your scalp using your fingers (or if you’re owed a treat, ask your other half to). Now rinse your hair with water until every drop of shampoo is out. That’s it – you’re done.
To keep your bar in tip top condition store in a cool dry place, and allow to dry between use.
Shampoo Bar transition tips
Ok, so you love the thought of using a more caring shampoo that’s completely natural, but you’re worried about making the switch from your usual chemical goo. Don’t be. It might take a few washes to make the transition – or ‘purge’ as it’s sometimes called – but it’s easy enough if you follow our simple tips.
At first, your scalp might become slightly oily or dry, or flip between the two. It might feel frizzy or waxy too, like there’s a bit of residue left in it. Don’t panic – this is normal, and it’s just your hair’s way of adjusting because your scalp needs time to rebalance its natural oil production. This stage usually lasts around one week, depending on just how much damage using chemical shampoos has done. Stick with it!
Once your hair has adjusted it will feel softer, cleaner and much more manageable, and that’s because natural shampoo bars clean and condition your hair without stripping it of its natural sebum. Any dandruff might disappear too, because your scalp isn’t being dried out and your skin isn’t reacting to those nasty chemicals bottled shampoos are full of.
Tips for an easy transition
- Use an apple cider vinegar rinse (see below) instead of a conditioner, as this helps restore your scalp’s pH balance as well as banish old chemicals. It will also protect the shaft of each hair and give it a wonderful shine too.
- Brush your hair gently and often – twice every day is good – brushing it from scalp to tips so you can help redistribute your hair’s natural oils.
- Give your hair a few days off between washes, just to allow it to adjust.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly whenever you wash it, to help make sure you get rid of every trace of shampoo.
- Try using a bit of dry shampoo or corn starch if your hair is feeling oily, rubbing a small amount into your scalp before brushing it through.
- To help calm any frizz or tangles, you can also try using a little argon oil through your hair.
- If your hair has a lot of product built up in it, before you use the shampoo bar try the simple baking soda rinse we’ve detailed below.
Apple cider vinegar spritz
- 1 part apple cider vinegar (use the type with ‘mother of vinegar’)
- 4 parts of water
- A few drops of your favourite essential oil
Baking soda clarifying rinse recipe
Baking soda (or to give it it’s posh name, sodium bicarbonate) is an easy clarifier to use, and it helps lift grease and product residue from your hair.
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 – 2 cups of warm water
Combine these ingredients in a spray bottle or cup, then wet your hair, apply the rinse, and work it through. Now rinse your hair thoroughly with warm water, then shampoo it.